If you're going to fritter away supper time, do it with black bean fritters. These can be the appetizer, or the side dish, or even the main course. Or you could simply make them as comfort food, when a needy friend stands stoveside, beer in hand and heart on her sleeve, and eats them as they come out of the pan. This has never happened to me but it's a sweet picture. (Writes that down)
Stoveside Black Bean Fritters
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bag frozen corn, defrosted or not. I use Trader Joe's.
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 zucchini, grated, and squeeze out as much juice as possible
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro (or a mix of both)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional, but it makes a bit of difference)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
Mix all of the above in no particular order. You may need to add in another 1/4 cup cornmeal if consistency is too wet (from the zucchini).
Drop tablespoons of batter into olive oil, fry both sides until golden brown, drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt.
These go good with butternut squash or tomato soup, or tossed on top of a spinach salad. They are also good on their own with beer and heartache.